View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
I was looking at this panel Amazon.com : Renogy® 100W Monocrystalline Bendable Solar Panel : Patio, Lawn & Garden I could probably get 4 of them on a metro. 2 on the hood and 2 on the roof... It won't be cost effective at all and I figure probably 1500 bucks for the whole setup but it might get me another few mpg.
Thanks for providing more info. Given your goals, I hope you follow through on your plan and track your outcome so that we can learn from your experience.

My only concern is how expensive those solar panels are, and how easily they might be ripped off of your car. You might want to epoxy it on, but some lunk-head still might destroy it in a failed theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
That's good, as spending $1500 to go from 60 to 70MPG would take 157k miles to break even at $4 a gallon.

Maybe you could make the alternator only output power when decelerating in gear or other times that it wouldn't have much of an impact.
The good thing about most PV is that they last so dang long. Even if this particular car doesn't go 157k more miles, the PV can be re-purposed for other applications down the road.

Good idea having the alternator kick in whenever the car is decelerating. Perhaps an Arduino could monitor for open loop or injector cutoff and then switch the alternator on with a relay.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!