View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #238 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Although it would be a personal challenge to make a posting for everyday the parts were in transit, fast forwarding should keep the thread more interesting so we don't all fall asleep.
"Gearing up" Centurion beyond what the original plans call for puts this project in uncharted waters, but, if successful will propel the car to new heights. There is plenty of discussion on the internet about engine sizing/gear selection and the general comments are that small/minimal engines (such as this D850) in street driven vehicles aren't suited to normal driving. (Imagine when tall gearing is applied - the car probably won't even move.)

Specifically, original/unmolested early Triumph Spitfires with 1147-1296cc gas 4 cylinder engines are generally not advised to use a 3.27 rear differential with the 4speed Laycock overdrive transmission. In a nut shell: too much gearing / car becomes a slug / blah - blah - blah - blah - blahhhhhh....
Another point to be made was brought up earlier in this thread where the Laycock overdrive pressure pump is concerned, and the "perceived" drag it would place on the engine thus lowering energy available to the rear wheels, etc, etc.. (or something to that effect..)
If the discussions against doing this are true, then why do it at all? Well, having bombed around in this legalized go-cart for sometime now, it's quite obvious there is untapped potential that can translate into a "Freeway Capable" car and I find this very appealing.
This may also be a stepping stone to a couple more milestones I'd like to see Centurion pass such as:
---> Upon successful completion, this would by default make it the "World's fastest Kubota powered Centurion". After all, the only two others are limited by the "gearing dead-end" that's being addressed here. Since I'm unable to locate more of these cars beyond the Original RQ Riley Centurion / The Lane Motor Museum example / and CrazyJerry's, then it appears I have a 1-in-3 shot at victory!
(Oh, W-h-a-t-e-v-e-r! - )

No more time to contemplate the meaning of life - the parts have arrived!
And first on the list arriving from the postal service, we have some very hard to find brackets:

WONDERFUL! So these are likely never to reach their intended destination. No problem, I can fabricate brackets and there's enough stray metal around here to do so. Moving along ---> at least the bigger stuff coming will make it...

(So long as it's not a 2x2 ft crated differential in Point Roberts, WA... Never made it out of the facility - never to be seen again... Simply amazing really.. )
Luckily, the brown delivery trucks will shine where the postal service fell short. The 4-speed transmission with highly desirable Laycock overdrive arrives and after much anticipation I now have it my clutches! Putting on my glasses "all the better to see it with", I notice not only is it very clean it's also ..... soooo........very....... damaged.....

Yup. The crate was a mess and the wooden front retainer that was bolted to the transmission was destroyed in transit. I'm sure along the way, nobody was observant enough to notice this, or the input shaft dangling about. A mounting ear and the input shaft were going to need some attention. Further inspection also revealed a missing overdrive shifter and rear mount.
Lovely....
Looking at this optimistically, it was simply a matter of fixing the problems and replacing some missing parts then everything should be plug-n-play.. Right? (......Crickets......)

~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: Laycock missing an :eek: