View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
cowmeat
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Polishing machined rims to a mirror finish

Background:

My Gen-1 Insight has those boring OEM machined rims with a clear coat. Not only is the clear coat chipping and peeling off the rims, but I just don't really like the machined look. I curbed my wife's brand new polished aluminum rim a couple of weeks ago on her Explorer and need to fix it, so I figured I'd practice on my rims, and get the mirrored look I want at the same time!

Steps to change a machined rim to a polished mirror finish:

1- Pull rim from car, lay flat and clean off all the dirt, carbon, etc . . .
2- spray on citrus based paint stripper, leave on for 20 minutes
3- Using a scrub brush, loosen the gelled clear coat, then rinse off and dry the rim
4- Using a mouse, sand the entire rim with higher and higher grit of sand paper. I started with 200 grit, paying special attention to the lip of the rim, which had a lot of curb rash. I ended up wet-sanding with 600 grit, only because I couldn't find higher grit paper. Would have been easier if I had finished with 1000, or even 2000 grit
5- Using an orbital buffer and polishing compound, buff the entire rim until very smooth (this takes a while depending on the final grit of the sand paper!)
6- Using a cone buffer with handle on a corded drill, buff out all the grooved & curved areas the orbital buffer can't reach. You can really get some torque with that handle. Keep rinsing off the build-up as you go.
7- Using a buffing wheel on a corded drill, polish the rim to a mirror shine
8- laying the rim flat, spray it with two light coats of clear coat (deck of cheap playing cards spaced around the perimeter keeps paint off the tire)
9- re-mount rim, and enjoy the new look!

Total time spent, about 2 hours, but the next ones will go way quicker since this was the experimental rim. Total cost, about 40 bucks, but I have enough supplies left over to do the rest of my rims and my wife's. Well worth the time, effort and expense. I will have the only set of polished Gen-1 Insight rims on the planet when I finish the rest next weekend!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	955
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	16018   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	1271
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	16019   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).JPG
Views:	993
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	16020   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(3).JPG
Views:	947
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	16021   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(4).JPG
Views:	867
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	16022  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(5).JPG
Views:	822
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	16023   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(6).JPG
Views:	1249
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	16024   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	772
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	16025  

Last edited by cowmeat; 01-22-2015 at 11:37 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cowmeat For This Useful Post:
Cobb (10-06-2014), Ecky (12-05-2014)