View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #1169 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

I would just like to do a little post giving an update of what's happening with this project.

First, and most important, Paul is in an epic debugging battle with field oriented control and an AC induction motor. Induction motors are voodoo to me; I cannot even imagine how Tesla came up with one in the first place.

I am glad it's not me. I am also VERY grateful of the experienced folks on the EV tech list who are helping with this. It's a huge deal, and their contribution and help with this cannot be overstated.

For my little part, I'm trying to cram all the components onto a circuit board approximately 1" by 3". It's not that I actually like tiny stuff - it just has to clear other stuff that already exists on the motor control board. It's tempting to use smaller components as a solution, however, I've worked with TSSOP components (before I new better) and they are a PIA for anyone to hand-place/solder. I have had to compromise, and the board will be entirely surface mount parts. I'm using SOIC IC's and 0805 resistors and capacitors. That will be enough of a challenge for my poor eyesight and clumsy paws...

- E*clipse
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-06-2014), MPaulHolmes (10-06-2014), thingstodo (10-06-2014)