View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
DieselMe
EcoModding Lurker

New kid on the block trying to add information

Hi Ladies and Gent's,

I've been reading the forum a heck of a lot lately and thought I'd take the plunge and get registered. I'm afraid I have the ecomodding bug! I have a 2013 Kia Sportage - as you might have guessed by my sig it's a Diesel (turbo). I have been out to my SUV/car a lot lately, looking at how I can better the CD on the front and undertray. This is something I am definately going to tackle in the up coming months. The thing is, most of my driving is in the city and with it's stop-start driving it's frustrating to think of the economy loss. But I do drive out to the country once a fortnight, so I will enjoy the benefits of my ecomodding then! :-)

But first, I wanted to try and tackle the inner city economy, so I bought a water injection kit. Previously I have had water injection kits on my car as power adders. So I am familiar with their function and installation. On testing the kia with an OBDII I found that the car is on positive boost almost as immediately as you touch the throttle (nice for driving - bad for economy).

The goal with the water injection is to spray water into the intake to act as a fuel additive so the car needs less fuel to accelerate at the same rate (there are quite a few writeups on here if you want more information or head to any one of the water injection sites or PM me for more information).

So I just received the water injection kit today. I went with Coolmist kit, for $260 it is a very simple kit but includes a solinoid which is key to engine safety. The best kit out there is Aquamist hands down, but cost is a factor for this particular project. I don't categorically know if water injection will go with the Kia or it will throw an ECU error or what? (I'm 90% sure I will show positive results).

So I will take pics of the install and record results (ABA tests should be pretty darn easy). The only issue is driving around town (where I want to save fuel most) is so damn random that it will be hard to properly test. If anyone has any ideas on how to guage how much, if any, difference the water injection makes. I am interested to know!

Thanks!