View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
It's documented on this site that the (b) option will have the lowest drag. Splitters have increased drag compared to straight vertical air dams; this is why companies use as close to vertical air dams as the designers will allow. Check out this Tahoe- Chevrolet Tahoe picture # 01 of 19, Front Angle, MY 2015, 800x600. I guarantee you the aero engineers wanted to move that air dam forward, but couldn't due to styling and approach angle.

"Solution 3" is a compromise for usability, but if you know how to drive a lowered car, use the same principles to avoid damaging a more forward-mounted air dam.

(d) may actually increase your drag, because it will be forcing air under your car. Whether you have a belly pan or not, you do not want to be compressing air like that.

I would do something like this if I were you. Image taken from EM user johnlvs2run's Garage.

PS- It seems like you're concerned about having downforce as well- do you race? If you need downforce at the expense of efficiency you'll want to go with a splitter. But if you're looking for fuel economy, the aforementioned mods will actually help you with highway stability as well as efficiency.

PPS- I know the Miata link says their CFD showed lower drag with the splitter, but both land speed racing and fuel economy challenge vehicles are usually modified to have vertical air dams.

Coincidence?

Last edited by Sven7; 10-10-2014 at 12:29 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-11-2014), Cd (12-04-2014), Smokeduv (10-10-2014)