View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #265 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Lugging the replacement transmission into the "cave" to get a better look at it is the next step.

The story I was given is the transmission "is" a good working unit and the only issues with it have only been related to the electrical side of the overdrive engagement. It certainly "looks" decent on the outside.
The oil was drained prior to shipping so unless there was any residual inside, there wouldn't be much to go on. The two covers over the four-speed looked like standard bolt-on pieces. Their removal is pretty straightforward:
Fist the small cover. This gives access to release the shift rail and then the larger cover can come off:

Now the larger cover:

A closer look does show some wear on the first gear synchro. The original 1966 transmission was a non-sychro in first gear, and I learned decades ago how double clutch and/or use second gear's synchro, so this was not an issue.
There is an oil pickup screen on the bottom side of the overdrive unit. This linked photo shows it very well:

A little dirty but not bad. The tray magnet is also a little "silty" but not bad..
At this point, I'm thinking maybe any other issues will be minimal... that is until I tried to mount my 1966 bellhousing to the 1980 four-speed....
Oh, no, here we go again!
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 10:59 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
BobS (10-14-2014)