View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
cowmeat
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Finished the second Insight rim today! Got it clear-coated up, and then I was on to the huge challenge of fixing the deeply scarred rim of my wife's brand new Explorer, which I had curbed a couple of weeks ago while pulling my lawn service trailer (which she was not very happy about!)

I used my Insight's rims as practice so I was a little better at the process before tackling hers, and the result was that her rim ended up looking amazing! I used the same steps as before, except her rim was so trashed that I took old mech's advice and started with a file (this cut the time roughly in half, I highly recommend this step!

RIP, tire That was a 200 dollar learning experience, but I guess it could have been worse since a re-manufactured 20" rim like hers goes for about 350 bucks!

Quote:
If the curb rash was really bad. I'd hit that with a file first.
I thought I had taken some "before" pics, but I couldn't find any (sorry). I curbed that rim so bad it took those giant chunks out of the tire in pics 2 & 3, and most of the edge and half the spokes needed to be filed first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	837
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	16090   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	675
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	16091   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).JPG
Views:	615