View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad12 View Post
My apologies if this thread already exists, but I do have something to add to the discussion if so.

I drive a 2014 ram 1500 3.6 v6 with an 8speed transmission. What am I doing on ecomodder you might ask, well I've managed to squeak 33 mpg out of that truck at my best and I'm seeking tehcnique and mod to get even better. 33 mpg for a full size truck to me seems impressive and I can't wait to get more out of it.

My question: should i be driving without traction control to gain back some mpg's? My truck does a lot of gearing down a hill to keep speed, I usually just switch it into neutral but I try to avoid all the gear shifting with electronic gears. Would taking off traction control help in that sense?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Do you have a real-time gauge for MPG ? If so monitor what happens to real MPG when your truck shifts down on - if it goes to 999 (or ---) then the engine is in DFCO and it is being "turned" by the car and using no fuel.

Leaving it in gear might be better than neutral but it is a balance between longer coasting at idle (neutral) and using no fuel at all but slowing more (DFCO). Also check your trans is happy in Neutral when moving.

The traction control question depends on how it works on your car - some work by retarding the ignition to reduce wheelspin, some do some clever jiggery pokery with diffs and some actually use brakes - kind of like ABS in reverse.

I doubt very much on tarmac it is even activated.