View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Starting My A/C Seat project

I'm doing this in response to http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...html#post45024

Plan
Basically the plan is to remove the covers from my factory 06 Jetta leather seats (already had to do once to fix heater) then glue tubing (thinking headliner adhesive) to the inside of the seat leather (already canvas backed). Then fill in the "gaps" between the tubing with foam rubber of similar thickness/ firmness to the silicone tubing.

System Componets

Heat transfer Tubing I have purchased Elite Silicone Airline Tubing By Hagen - Air Pumps & Accessories - PetSmart is very soft, rather resistant to kinking, is very thin and is not very unreasonably priced.

Filler Foam Rubber
I went to a fabric store looking for foam rubber to fill in the gaps; but no luck so far. There is an upholstery shop that I can ride my bike to; I think I'll hit them up when I get home.

Water Distribution Manifolds
I'm planning on putting manifolds in the crease between the seat and the seat back, this will allow for fairly even flow through each of the 8 planned loops (4 loops (out from center then back to center) on seat and 4 on the seat back). So I'll need 16 "T's". I'd like the manifolds to be of a larger size (say 1/2") So I'll need to locate the T's and tubing to match design. I figure if I seal all of the T's Up with marine Adhesive there is near 0 Chance of Leaks . -> Highly recommended West Marine: Fast Cure 5200 Polyurethane Adhesive/Sealant Product Display

Pump Thinking of starting out with a used windshield washer pump however they are loud and I am unsure about their duty cycle. I was thinking about PC liquid cooling pumps, but they are rather pricey. Any other ideas?

Cooling
I'll probably start with a little ice chest with cold water in it; but want to upgrade to Peltier cooling so I don't have to carry ice out to the car, or take up much room. Something along the lines of a heat sink on the Hot side of a peltier and a water block on the Cold side of the same peltier. The Hot side could be mounted inside the HVAC system; as long as you always had air flowing through it you wouldn't have to have an additional fan and that way you could super cool the system by running the A/C compressor for a few minutes.

Thermostat
Probably the last thing on the list. I want to make the contols as factory as possable so here is the plan.
1) Install heat/ cool switch for the factory seat heater control.
2) either a) get a temp sensor which is inverse of the factory "Heat" sensor or design circuit to reverse the output (I know ambitious). (switches with the Heat/ Cool switch)
3) have the factory thermostat wheel mounted in dash control the coolant pump whenever switched to "cool"

Comments, suggestions ETC Highly welcome

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon