View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Davo53209@yahoo.com
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach4 View Post
You don't say what your car is. Some older cars, particularly imports, used a cigarette lighter plug that was slightly larger than the US ones. Sometimes you need to either get a shim or put something around the charger to make it fit more snug. On mine, I used a bit of zip tie looped through the springs to wedge it in.

Use a charger with a LED to confirm that there is a connection and it's providing power to your device.

Also, on some cars where the receptacle is in the ash tray, the connection is provided through some sliders. These can get out of adjustment or corrode and prevent power getting to the charger.

Probably not applicable, but worth checking.
I have a 94 Honda Civic VX. Aside from the fore mentioned problem, I also keep finding aftermarket cigarette lighters for Honda Civics that are only useful between the years of 88-91, and that's from three separate auto stores.

So instead, I've decided to run a wire direct from the battery with an inline fuse to the cigarette lighter. I'm just wondering what gauge would be most beneficial, along with the fuse amperage (i.e. 10 or 15 amps).