View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #107 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
I'll second the "pulling from sump" option, because it would allow spinning the motor in either direction.
The oil in the sump isn't dirty, like an IC engine's sump. At the same time adding a magnetic, inline filter would probably be wise. I added one to my Insight's CVT oil system, just because it's a heck of a lot easier to change that filter than the OE ones. Of course it makes sense to add a really overkill oil cooler as well. Again, for the value they provide, coolers are pretty cheap.
And the bigger the oil cooler the bigger the total oil volume which gives the system a lot more thermal inertia. Takes longer for a peak load to raise the total oil temperature. Should tend to even out the thermal peaks. Also adding a thermo fan that comes on above a certain temperature would be good insurance. A small thermo fan doesn't weigh too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
I think the Triumph's use of the engine and frame in the oil system is really cool.
E*clipse
Agreed, it may also stop rust inside the frame and act as a signal for any frame damage. A hairline fracture of the frame may go unnoticed until disaster occurs but oil dripping on your nice clean garage floor will likely be noticed and the fracture located early on.