View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #426 (permalink)
richierocket
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Yeah, trailers behind a car are OK for light loads on nice (sub)urban roads, not so good other places.

Besides, I have to question the numbers. I think I do better having a really light, fuel-efficient car (Insight) with essentially zero towing capability plus a truck for occasional loads, than I would having to drive a larger car that'd have significant towing capacity, when I'm not towing anything at least 95% of the time.
Hi jamesqf, I would have to question your numbers. I have towed with my last two cars, a '98 civic and a '12 sonic. I would not consider either of these 'larger cars', yet I could safely tow 700-800 lbs loads. Also, I need to carry passengers, an Insight only has two seats. I can easily tow motorcycles, furniture, appliances, etc. For Home Depot runs of gravel, mulch, building materials...just rent their truck!
However, this is not one size fits all! If the numbers works out for you great, but not for me...

Your plan requires paying for the reg, insurance, taxes, depreciation, and maintenance on a second vehicle, money and personal time. No good for me...

Rich