View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #109 (permalink)
Cyruscosmo
EcoModding Lurker

Oil?

LOL ok I can see that neither one of you has had a Triumph motorcycle because the blasted things leak everywhere. Well at least the old ones did... The only old bikes I have had that did not leak was the Moto Guzzi's. The bike I have now does not leak a drop. It is parked in the living room on my hard wood floor. ;-)

If you look at the baffles in that gear box you will see that once it is in motion the oil is pretty much in the chamber on top. There would be no "sump" to collect the it from. The ring gear would pull it up top faster than the pump could suck it out.

If the gear box was run in reverse then the oil would build up near the oil fill plug which would then be the oil suction side. Either way the oil return would be the port to the main shaft.

Quote:
The MGR's motor shaft doesn't really have a step machined into it. However, there's a spline on the gearbox side of the motor shaft that interfaces with the first stage of the drive system's gears. This set of gears is also hollow, so in a sense, there is a step. The shaft inner diameter is smaller on the gearbox side, larger on the motor side.
As for metallic particles maybe it relies on that chamber up on top to trap them? I find it hard to believe that unit has over 100K on it and almost no metallic powder in it. Maybe the gears have already been hardened and polished? Even if the rotor is not energized it is still being driven by the vehicles forward motion. What would the RPM be doing 60 on the freeway? Talk about over drive!

Quote:
The oil in the sump isn't dirty, like an IC engine's sump. At the same time adding a magnetic, inline filter would probably be wise. I added one to my Insight's CVT oil system, just because it's a heck of a lot easier to change that filter than the OE ones. Of course it makes sense to add a really overkill oil cooler as well. Again, for the value they provide, coolers are pretty cheap.
I already have the perfect set up for cooling. It is an oil cooler with attached thermostatically controlled fan. New in the box never used! Couple that with a remote mount spin on transmission oil filter and it's perfect.

I am pretty sure that unit will drop in the front of my Geo as is. I can't wait to get my hands on one... Grrrrr

Cyruscosmo