View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
I had posted a response here outlining a commercial available racer's 'kool vest' a while ago, maybe you read it.
I have used Kool Long sleve shirts and cool helmets, that's where the Idea "seed" came from. Re-freshed by various mentions on this forum.

Quote:
For the heat side, I don't know about having engine coolant flowing through my seats... too many chances for a real mess IMO. How about a liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger where the engine coolant doesn't actually flow through the seat tubing
I already have electrically heated seats, sure waste heat would be more efficiant, but I'd rather just leave well enough be.
If you want to see a terribly bad Idea, look at the early versions of the New body style 7 series BMW. The seats are heated by engine oil (electrically boosted)! Nearly every one leaked and had to be replaced under warranty (along with carpet).

Quote:
... wait, if it's straight water, it freezes during a cold winter night. Hmmm...
I honestly hadn't thought about the coolant freezing, I guess I can add just a tad of antifreeze when winter comes around, should have found any leaks by then.

Quote:
For a cooling pump and ice buckt, look at small live well <fishing> bait recirc pumps. Maybe Bass Pro Shops on-line sells a self-contained 12v units for anglers with little aluminum boats?
Good Idea. Rule Livewell Pumps Only issue I'm foreseeing is that they appear to be modified bilge pumps which in my experience are very low pressure, but high flow. Hopefully not because that would be ideal.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon