View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedV View Post
What causes the tire pressures to swing so much with temp variation is the moisture inside the tire. The reason nitrogen ends up being more stable is the moisture is removed as it is run through the machine or before it gets bottled. It is more dry than naturally compressed air, unless the compressed air is run through a good filter drier. There is moisture in the air contained inside the tire as it is mounted and lots of bead lube are water based. Usually there is a fill & purge procedure recomended to reduce that moisture when using N2.
I am going to thoroughly disagree with the water theory.

First, I have never seen, nor have I ever heard of reports of, water in street tires when they are dismounted.

Second, filling a tire with air, involves the air coming from a tank at a higher pressure. Even if the air in the tank is 100% humidity, when the air gets in the tire it is less than 100%. In other words, it doesn't rain inside a tire.

And lastly, even though water is used in the lube for mounting tires, it permeates through the tire. When I was involved in tire testing, we never saw water in tires that sat more than a few days. The only time we saw water was if we dismounted the tires shortly after mounting them.

So I think this whole water in tires issue is a red herring.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
65whitelion (09-19-2022)