View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #1242 (permalink)
cts_casemod
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
Hi Paul!

Here's a pic of the board:

Please - anyone - RIP on this board - I would much rather hear of it's issues now, then when it's done.

My biggest concern is noise. This board will sit right over the microprocessor and the microprocessor's timing crystal. Also, it will have it's own noise generator, a 50kHz oscillator.

If anyone has had any experience with these interactions, I would love to here it. Also, on the lower left side of the board is the output amplifier. It was designed for about 2 sq. inches of bare copper to act as a heat sink. I obviously don't have that, and need to come up with some decent alternative.

E*clipse
I can see your bottom layer (?), the blue, is not very populated. It could be a good idea to fill the empty space with a ground plane/grid. Also where the regulator will be, use a few vias, to help reduce the thermal resistance and dissipate heat to the bottom layer. The same is valid for the output amplifier.

Mounting:

There are components very close to the mounting hole. It may happen that if you put a screw on there its head will either touch or squash some.

If I may suggest, if you use a ground plane you could leave some exposed copper to solder some metallic adapter where the screw could safely seat.