View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
nickec
EcoModding Lurker

Ecotransport mashup

I suspect that many members and readers know about the Lit Motors C-1. Likely readers recognize the Spira. This thread will cover my efforts to mashup concepts from Lit and Spira.

If I can get 80% of the results for 20% of the cost, I will celebrate.

The first donor chassis is a Gy6 powered Taotao motor scooter. Any modifications I make will minimize "hard mods" - so as little removal of components by metal cutting, and as little welding to the frame as possible. This makes reassembling the donor into "normal original" configuration easy.

Later I will consider extending the wheelbase by cutting and extending the single large tube which constitutes the spine of the frame.

This ongoing experiment may take a considerable time because I want hands-on experience with various design options:

roll bar vs. no roll bar
roof vs. no roof
fixed roof vs. demountable roof
fixed roof vs. convertible top
super narrow vs. narrow but comfortable
metal vs. coroplast vs. FRP vs. EPP bodywork (expanded polypropylene)
control positions - handlebar height and width; switch placement
**super small heater from copper coil exhaust wrap and computer radiator**

Thus far I have driven approximately 700 miles with various very low seats and very narrow handlebars. I have also lowered the floorboard.

Trial layouts of bodywork which partially fair the rider are in process.

The end goal is to enclose the rider as completely as possible while retaining the ability to easily firmly plant both feet for "take-off and landing" and to surround the rider with 3-6 inches of EPP. Think lighter, cheaper, simpler Lit C-1 with the foam body of the Spira.

If all-weather, improved safety moped riding results, perhaps others will follow my lead. Either way, this has been, and will continue to be great fun.

Pictures to follow in next post.

Last edited by nickec; 10-19-2014 at 03:10 AM..