View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #279 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Question: I know that you have a real feel for the Kubota's capabilities and I believe that you will prevail. But, if for some reason, there is just not quite enough power to pull the new tranny's gearing, will you consider moving to the next size larger Kubota? I think all of us are very interested in the minimum capability needed in a car to get safe Interstate performance.
Hi BobS,
My apologies if I'm reading into this way too much.
This is a fair question and this response starts out looking back to one of my original reasons for:
- Swapping a 4cyl gas for a one-lunger diesel to build a 115 mpg diesel bike "Changzuki"
- Integrating lithium into the Go-One3 to create the high-speed "Aurora"
- Completing the Kubota 850cc "Centurion" and putting it to the test at the 2014 Green Grand Prix
The Ecomodder homepage says it best:
Welcome to EcoModder.com, an automotive community where performance is judged by fuel economy rather than power and speed.
Taking that into consideration makes your question really tough to say for sure if I'd ever adapt a bigger engine into Centurion. Assuming for a minute that were to happen, I don't really believe it would ultimately answer the question:
"I think all of us are very interested in the minimum capability needed in a car to get safe Interstate performance."
A larger engine in Centurion would yield "X" for performance and "Y" for mpg, but neither of these would likely apply to the same engine in something like Redneck's Geo Metro, brucepick's Accord, or UltArc's Aerostang. Different aero profiles, weights, etc.... I'm leary of blanket statements/assumptions that are really only exclusive to a particular car (as in this case, Centurion)..
If a larger engine were the answer, what would the fuel economy numbers look like? And perhaps more importantly, there would still be the nagging arguments of safety with such a low-slung light-weight car. These arguments aren't from me (I'm quite happy with Centurion) but rather from others who have expressed thoughts on these topics - more or less negating any engine change outcomes..
IF (never happen) I was still 22, I'd frankenstein a Cummins 5.7 12v into Centurion and fuel map it to run with 60psi boost - and fuel economy be damned! I setup my 98 Dodge 2500 exactly this way and it's pretty thrilling!!

Now back to reality:
Depending on the weather and my work schedule, Centurion will hopefully make the 1.5hour drive to I-81 for an interstate speed test.
Pending the outcome of that (pass or fail), not sure I'm currently ready to walk away from Centurion as she currently stands: 210 miles - just coming off the full mark. At least not yet - maybe never!

That was the "Pulse"..... Now for the "Glide".....
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 10:58 PM..