View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Endurance racing of any kind is a pain in the ass.

In a car? Luxury! We had to do our endurance racing in sneakers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Having been firmly on the hoon side of the fence at one point, though, I know how easy it is to roll one's eyes at fuel economy.
The problem (over which I took many slaps in my last model-specific forum) is that most Murricans see performance as something the car does on its own and the driver then gets manliness credit for. If they want more performance (and more manliness points) they write a check to have something bolted on to get more performance.

I really enjoy driving, but I'm not so much a fan of being a passenger on a roller coaster- driving is something I do, not something that the car does to me. At the end of a drive the "how was it?" needs a more coherent answer than "I had fun." Trip mpg is honest. It doesn't care about your mood, it doesn't care about your feelings. If I get worse than usual and there weren't any weather or traffic problems, then I have a computer that says "Fat Charlie, you did not drive well this morning. Fix it." If you can't take being told when you don't do well, then you aren't a good driver. No store bought 1/4 or 0-60 time can ever change that.

I feel like this bit should actually be in the "retort" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (10-20-2014), niky (10-20-2014), PaleMelanesian (10-20-2014), UltArc (10-20-2014)