View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #119 (permalink)
Cyruscosmo
EcoModding Lurker

Bms

Hey E*clips

Unfortunately I do not have the tools or knowledge to design and build Electronic circuits. I know my way around the various components and can trouble shoot and repair "as long as I have the specs and schematic so I know where to poke the probe" but actually building one from scratch, well I would have better luck trying to extinguish the sun with a squirt gun...

Are you building yours open source? If so would it work for the LiFePo batteries?

I don't think Paul has gotten that far yet. The wiki for the BMS and charger does not appear to have any progress past a features list.

I like the idea of placing one small board on each battery and daisy chaining them together. Fewer wires, points of failure and less hassle all around. Plus if one board does not respond it is easy to change out.

The BMS that came with the car and batteries I got hold of was covered in a cloud of angle hair spaghetti sized wire that ran from each batteries board to a display box on the dash with 180 status LEDs.

Every BMS was also grounded to the vehicle chassis. Nothing was run in wire looms or any method to keep them off the bare battery terminals.

The wiring was a mess and the grounds from each (BMS?) board to the chassis kinda freaked me out so I pulled the whole thing.

The car had other issues as well. The Curtis controller went away in a cloud of magic smoke and the goof pushed in the clutch when the car tried to move on it's own. Think nine inch netgain grenade... Anyway he gave up and sold the whole thing cheep and went and bought a Leef.

So I ended up with 90 60AH LiFePo cells in questionable condition and a working Manzanita micro charger.

Cyruscosmo