View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
I remember once watching a valet try to park my one ton diesel manual truck.
After stalling it numerous times he just got out.
My dad and mom were behind me in his decked out dually. Dad says out the window "same transmission".
We both pulled past two spots and simultaneously backed both trucks in.
My wife, watching from the valet stand, said it looked like synchronized swimming.
The valet still had his mouth open when dad and I walked up.
We felt bad though and gave him a nice tip anyway.
Nowadays, that would never happen.
I'd have liked seeing that transpire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I saw a kid driving down the street with his hands at 11:30 and 12:30, holding a "smart" phone. He could see everywhere except where his car was going.

/I guess that's off-topic. Sorry.
Unfortunately, it's more and more common today. I'm certain it takes a lot of attention off of driving, more so than shifting gears. Redpoint's right; it is distracting. I remember the first time I tried to call and drive; I had to hang up 'cuz I nearly ran off the road.
By the way, hands at 1130 and 1230 isn't fooling anyone but him.

This makes me ask the question, what is it exactly that is driving manufacturers to shove out more slush boxes? I remember hearing that Dodge (a couple years back) had done a survey saying more folks wanted autos, but they didn't ask me... I understand technology is making autos better; maybe that's part of it.
*So, does anyone think there's a market for a business swapping slush boxes for manuals? Could help spur the movement...