View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
blownoiler
performance with economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Want to reduce oil pumping losses? Here is how I would do it.

1 like mechanic said, reduce the relief pressure on the pump.
If the pump pressure release valve is accessible this can work, but for those that are not it could turn out to be a lot of work

Quote:
2 intentionally put an undersized oil pump on the engine and an additional electric oil pump. The electric would run when the engine is cold and below a certain RPM so you don't get near 0 oil pressure at and near idle.
I almost did this with my suburban when I rebuilt the engine, put the undersized factory non-turbo oil pump back on the motor and back it up with and electric but I couldn't find an electric oil pump and filter I liked.
Personally, I don't trust electric pumps enough to do this, and would probably find myself watching the oil pressure gauge constantly.

Quote:
How about just put the biggest oil filter that will fit on the oil filter head?
This should help with better filtering, but don't forget that most oil filters have a bypass valve built in, so I'm not sure what net effect this would have on overall system pressure.
Here is a link to an engineering forum, where required engine oil pressure is discussed, the last post is interesting-
Eng-Tips: Engine & fuel engineering - Determining necessary oil flow volume for main and rod bearings