View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
IsaacCarlson
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
BB balancing tires

I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but here goes.

Big trucks have been using heavy beads inside the tire to balance them. This works very well and has been done for many years.

I had 2 tires this year that were so out of balance and out of round that they would rip the steering wheel from your hands at anything over 45 mph. The car lunged around at low speed like a carnival ride and it made our backs hurt. I didn't have the money for new tires, so I poured a few ounces of bb's in each tire just to see how it worked. I was not sure if it would help. All I had to say was WOW! It worked! You could hardly feel the vibration in the wheel and the car rode much better. It still hopped a bit at low speed, but it was much better. We finally put different tires on it and I put 4 oz of bb's in those too. It rides like glass. I am sold on it. I bought a tire changer just so I can give people a "lifetime" balance. The bb's continuously balance the tire as you drive. Pick up a rock? They balance out immediately. Lose the rock a mile later? They do it again.

Has anyone else tried this? I have noticed an improvement in mileage with them in the tires and it saves $$$ because you don't have to get your tires balanced and they wear better so they last longer.

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IsaacCarlson For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (04-16-2016), Xusn96 (10-25-2014)