View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #68 (permalink)
bradze
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsworld View Post
That's awesome that you run that thing through ORV parks! I love subbies and all manner of capable cars/light trucks. I'd love to have an older Sub GL wagon with the true 4x4 with 4lo/4hi... I found one locally but they won't return my calls Have you installed any bashplates or underbody armor to yours?

I had thought of another vehicle, but buying another vehicle wasn't an option.... UNTIL i found I needed $1k worth of IFS rebuild. Cost benefit analysis leads me to believe the amount of money I need to spend on it in the next 6 months won't get me the same quality vehicle I could most likely find buying for the same amount

I'm currently cruising craigslist for something like a subaru/small pickup or a large F250 to do run biodiesel/WVO in. I've always wanted a vehicle with long distance range and free fuel

So I have put my modding of the mountaineer on hold till I determine which way I will be going with this. If I can't find another vehicle by the time repairs are necessary, I'll go back to my plan to mod this lil beast I hope no matter what, I can accumulate info and feedback that will be useful to off road friendly modding!

~C
i had a homemade skid plate under my engine/trans but it got so bashed up i took it off and will just get a premade one when i have money. my front bumper got destroyed so i "fixed" it with zip ties and aluminum plates on the bottom. its much stronger than what it was for almost no money. my family truckster is just a mallcrawler right now, at least its living up to what i bought it for, a comfy family hauler thats reliable and can do almost anything and gets decent mpg. i was using the truckster for rallycross and offroading and all sorts of stuff but i broke an axle 2 months ago and am not allowed to use it for anything other than an appliance car. if you can find an older one cool, but some people get early 90s legacies, and track down an AUDM gearbox with true LO range. one guy in moab did this, his legacy makes rock crawling jeeps look stupid.