View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 04:27 AM   #144 (permalink)
PRAVINS
EcoModding Lurker

Speed Vs. MPG Charts in different gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejoey View Post
Ever since I started lurking on Ecomodder (a few years ago), I've always been keen on the speed vs. mpg charts. Not only do they clearly show the influence of speed on mileage, they also provide a handy reference for people who don't yet have instrumentation, or folks interested in the efficiency slopes of other vehicles. I've searched and haven't found any collections of charts here, so I'm hoping this might become a place to store these charts as a reference. To kick things off, here are a few I've found from users here:

NOTE from admin: if you add a graph, PLEASE also include a link to the source site/page. Thanks!

2006 Toyota Corolla 1.6L Auto by MetroMPG
from http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...atic-6710.html

1998 Pontiac Firefly / Geo Metro 1.0L Manual by MetroMPG
from Speed kills: testing MPH vs. MPG in top gear - MetroMPG.com

2002 Nissan SE-R, 2006 Scion, Elantra by SentraSE-R

Assorted cars by Auto Bild Magazine
from Speed kills: testing MPH vs. MPG in top gear - MetroMPG.com

If you have any more, please post them. If you have an instrument (SGII, Ultragauge, etc) and are willing to compare your speed to mpg at a variety of speeds, that would also be appreciated. I would be happy to make charts for anyone who supplies me with a range of figures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Vs. MPG in different gears.png
Views:	165
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	16199

Graph shown above, shows MPG in different gears & at various speeds when vehicle is operated at constant speed, on level road, with absolutely no braking.

At higher speeds there is drop in mileage due to increase in air resistance which is proportional to square of vehicle speed.

In lower gears, fuel consumption due to engine friction gets multiplied by gear ratio, hence mileage is low. Further in the same gear with increase in vehicle speed there is proportionate increase in engine r.p.m. & increase in fuel consumption due to engine friction is more than proportionate.

From the graph we can see the difference in MPG in different gears for the same vehicle speed.
e.g. at 40 miles/hr –
in top gear – MPG – 62
in 4th gear – MPG - 55 only.

In city traffic when we are compelled to drive at lower speeds, if we use higher possible gear we get better mileage. But if we operate in lower gear, MPG is very low.
e.g. at 25 miles/hr –
in 3rd gear - MPG - 60
in 2nd gear - MPG - 40.
You can see that at lower speeds drop in MPG is much wider as compared to difference in 4th gear & top gear.
data source : book ‘Improve Fuel Average (MPG/KMPL)’

PRAVINS