View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #74 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

I think F1 lost something when they went to semi-auto trannies. I think taking away shifting/clutching was bigger than active suspension or traction control.

And yes, Senna was a freak of nature. I watched a program about him awhile back. He really stood out when the rain started. He was so much faster than anyone else in the wet.

And, I guess the geek in me would be interested in fully autonomous road racing, but, it will never be the same as manned racing.

Getting back to trannies, I do think the current gear count battles are kind of silly. A 9 speed tranny? Maybe on an older small 4 cylinder, but with todays engines and their variable cam wizardry, they make power everywhere. I think 6 or 7 gears on a smaller engine is about all that will add performance. And the 7 speed on the new vette? That monster of an engine pulls like a freight train pretty much through its revs. As you say, give it 5 close ratios for hauling ass up to very illegal speeds and a 6th for putting along on the freeway.