View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #286 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Sorry to hear you that your goals were not meet, yet.

Interesting read on j Type overdrive. This information was from a TR6. So it might be different.

J Type Overdrive Part I

By his calculations in direct drive the loss should be minimal. How do the gear ratios without the OD compare to the old transmission compare
nemo,
You beat me to that post - and a thank you as well. I have that article and there's another somewhere here in this disaster of a place where according to it, the choice of oil (a hotly contested topic) along with rpm and temperature can result up to approx 5hp being lost in this setup. If true, a Spitfire with 100+ ponies that might not noticed that, but in the right conditions that is a huge hit for a 17hp Kubota. The attraction to the Spitfire setup was, the fit with minimal modification, and, they are relatively inexpensive when compared to the alternatives some folks go for. In 30 years when there's no parts, etc to be found, I'll be slapping myself right?

The gear ratios in the 1500's 4-speed are nearly identical to the 1966 3-rail 4-speed (except 1st where the 1500's is a bit taller, less likely to pull out stumps)...

Getting ready to make a post that addresses the overdrive intermittent engagement issue. Mavis Beacon has me at about 9 words per minute, so I had to start a couple of hours ago!

~CrazyJerry