View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 05:04 AM   #79 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
What do todays racers use in vettes/911s? I wouldn't be surprised if the use 5 speed race trannies, maybe 6. I doubt either use the 7 speeds unless it is some sort of showroom stock series.
6 speeds has been the standard for a while, I doubt you'll be able to find a 5 speed racecar these days unless it's a race prepped dinosaur. It's hard to get above 150mph on most tracks so they make the ratios tighter than the street car boxes.

What they did on the 991 GT3 was make a 7 speed close ratio box so that you could have way more power in low speed turns thanks to the revs not dropping off, but that's not a manual shift car.

With these cars you actually have enough power to get to those speeds though. When you start looking at 4 cylinder performance drivetrains like the K20 or 2ZZ-GE, they have 6th gears that can be used in theory but you'll never get fast enough to actually hit 6th because there's just not much power to keep accelerating, and the first 5 gears have pretty close spacing already, comparable to say a factory 911 GT3. You can get even closer ratios but since it's a manual transmission you lose a few tenths of a second per shift and it's not that useful.

Last edited by serialk11r; 10-26-2014 at 05:09 AM..