View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rembrant
EcoModding Lurker

Squeezing more MPG out of VW Golf...

Hiya Folks,

Great forum...love what I've been reading so far.

I spend a lot of time on the road with my work and get paid for my mileage, so I'm interested in getting more MPG out of my 'Plain Jane' VW Golf.

The car is a 2009 VW City Golf (MK4?) with the less than exciting 2.0L 4cyl power plant and 5spd manual trans. I haven't been monitoring my MPG per se, but always pay attention to total kms per tank. I typically get 700km to 51L of fuel in good weather, but my best so far was 745km to 51L of fuel...I guess that's around 34 MPG (USG). While the MPG is OK...I think I'm only getting what the car is rated for...and I'm hoping (assuming) I can do better, at least a little bit?

I'm not out searching for massive increases in MPG...I'd be happy with even a few percentage points...heck, I'd be ecstatic with a 10% gain.

Anyway...I have lots and lots of questions and have been reading all kinds of stuff on EFIE and Volo chips, HHO kits, and of course 'Hypermiling', etc, but it's taking a bit of time for my peanut sized brain to digest it all and figure out what's worth trying and what isn't. I'm not concerned so much about the ROI of add on devices...this is really just for hobby use and to keep me entertained while I'm on the road.

Cheers,
Rem