View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #80 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I ran my Mustang manual steering for a bit. No big deal.
I tried that in my RAM for about a day. Probably could have done it longer if I didn't have golfer's elbow in both elbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I do have one question? Why in the hell do manufacturers continue to put such short ODs in the top gears of MTs? That accent has a much taller top gear than my '09 MT Sonata. Some new cars have a higher mpg number for the autos and I am certain it is because the autos top cog is much higher than the manual. Give me a proper OD for 75 mph cruising. I am perfectly capable of downshifting on hills.
I agree. Some good info here. For the 07 RAMs, the stick had a 1:1 5th, and a .78 6th gear, where the auto has a .75 4th and a .67 5th. I figured it was a racket to push better looking mileage figures for autos so the OEM could quit offering stick shifts... Yet they have now offered a 7sp in the new Challenger.

I too was thinking a small engine needs more gears, as you'd want to keep it in the power band more often. That thinking might come from owning a VW GLI...with a close ratio 5sp.