View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #149 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAVINS View Post
My rough estimate for '91 Ford Mustand LX' indicate that you can get best MPG, in the speed range of 30 to 40 MPH in 3rd gear. (assuming that it is 4 speed automatic transmission).

In fact, the pattern of graph I have posted will be similar for all models except for the change in values.

Normally, we get best mileage at lowest possible speed in top gear. In this case 4th gear is actually an overdrive with min. speed of around 50 mph.

Since you are driving in city, vehicle speed is decided by traffic on the road.
In such case, it always economical to drive in highest possible gear for that speed. In other words we should drive in lower engine r.p.m. range. for getting best possible MPG.

PRAVINS
I drive highway at night, and early morning so traffic is never an issue for me. It's only a ~5.5-6.3 mile trip from work to home, with about 4.7-5.5 being at cruising speed. I have 2 different posts (I work security) hence the mileage difference. I don't want to take 20-25 mins getting home at 35mph lol. I'm just trying to figure out of the fuel burned at 65mph is worth the time I save over 55mph. I read all the time that people with 331 stroker kits, and 3.73 rear ends can still get 27mpg at 65mph so yea.

[Edit]: I have the 302 with 2.73's. I will be swapping in 3.73's eventually.