View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
palmer_md
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf - '11 Nissan Leaf SL

Tesla - '19 Tesla Model 3 SR

BMW - '14 BMW i3 REX

TSLA - '13 Tesla Model S 85
Prius Improvements? (considering aerodynamic modifications to 2005 Prius)

Hello,

I have a 2005 Prius that I'm considering making some changes to, and wanted to get some input from folks on the site as to whether these changes are worth the effort.

I'm not a hypermiler, I drive the car for work to my customer sites that are generally about 100-150 miles from where I live. I probably average one trip per week over the year, but in the summer I could go every day during some weeks. Anyhow the speed limit on the freeway is 70 and traffic generally flows at 75-80. I typically drive between the speed and the flow of traffic 72-74. Due to the speed, aero is my biggest concern, and I'm wondering if I can do some things to improve on the Prius to make it even more efficient.

Thoughts (at random as I type this):
1. smooth under body
2. mirror delete from the outside and install mirrors on the inside of the glass.
3. wheel covers (pizza pan type)

those are the easy ones

4. rear wheel well skirts
5. rear boattail
6. front bumper cleanup and grill block

I've used the template that you have on the garage tools and the angle of the rear hatch is not fitting the template very well. Not sure how to use the template I guess. My thought was to just use the existing angle of the roof and extend it out until it met with the rising angle from under the vehicle.

Anyhow, I'd just like some feedback as to whether these changes will make much difference and are worth spending the time and money to install on this vehicle.

I was inspired by this thread.... http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...d-gen-978.html

I love the look of the tail and skirts, but I think the nose should be more blunt, and would probably be easier to build as blunt. Perhaps a splitter at the same ground height as the underbody and help keep the air from going under the car like the pointed nose will do.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tail.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	16207   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	16208   Click image for larger version

Name:	nose.jpg
Views:	48