View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
palmer_md
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf - '11 Nissan Leaf SL

Tesla - '19 Tesla Model 3 SR

BMW - '14 BMW i3 REX

TSLA - '13 Tesla Model S 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
When drafting, engine rpm, drivetrain losses, and rolling resistance are unchanged. The only thing that has changed is a reduction of the wind load on the car, which is exactly what you are doing when you lower your Cd via aeromods.
Actually with a Prius this is incorrect. The engine RPM is adjusted to the load, so when drafting, I note the RPM drop as the load drops. It is quite interesting to watch the RPM when you have cruise control on and driving on level ground. If you are passing a large truck, you can see the RPM drop and the mpg rise as you go past in the passing lane. There is a nice spot with the nose of my car even with the tail of the truck that puts me in their "wake". There is a bad spot when my nose is just about at the trucks door and I'm on the high pressure point on the trucks wake. RPM goes up and mpg goes down.

Anyhow, I know this will make a difference, so now it is a matter of how far I go with the design. I really do like this tail that is in the thread linked in my first post.

The Following User Says Thank You to palmer_md For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-28-2014)