View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,594 Times in 7,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r
+1 to the wheel air fences, but you have to make them pretty low and may get ground clearance issues. In some racing magazine they wind tunnel tested a Lotus Exige, and the drag reduction from making fences that go nearly all the way down to the ground was enormous, even though that car has a short tail.

It's way cheaper than lowering the car though, so it's probably worth a shot. I noticed Tesla Model S have these too but they are small and stubby.
I see the fences as being two walls of an exponential horn, the third wall would be the diffuser. Exponential horns are used for outdoor public address systems because they couple so well with the ambient atmosphere.

Here's an example on a Lotus that uses straight, rather than curved, fences.

palmer_md -- That mid-height boattail would work well with this. The fences could be attached to the rear suspension and submerge into the boattail with suspension travel. Using the same curve horizontally, and held in close to the inner side of the tire, they could cross the width of the tire with much less length than the [full] boattail.

For the rear skirts, consider the '57 mercury turnpike cruiser style skirt. It would eliminate the vertical seam at the back of the wheelwell. For the front skirt, here's a picture I did for aerohead's T-100 in another thread.

The program locked up at that point so I just took a screen grab. I don't know if you can read the illustration. The blue/yellow part represents the car body and tire. The wireframed part is the skirt. The cylindrical shapes represent a 4-bar linkage, with the two top bars combined. They are shown on the outside of the body with a bubble skirt, but depending on the clearances, they might be in the wheelwell with a flush skirt.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-28-2014)