View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
moorecomp
Master EcoModder

Here's what I have done so far.

Hey fellow ZX2 fans,

I changed jobs recently and lost my company car, so I had to find something to replace it. I found a really clean 1999 ZX2 with only 60,000 miles on it and bought it for $4,500 out the door. It is a 5 speed manual, basic model, no frills. When I first started checking my gas mileage, I was getting about 35mpg per fillup. I then discovered this site and gassavers.org, and started trying to improve my FE. By changing my driving habits, I was able to increase my mileage to 38mpg per fillup. I then decided to do some mods, and not spend any money. First I inflated my tires to 10% over max and was able to get 39mpg. Then I did my version of the Keman intake mod and this put me over 41mpg. I just installed the IAT resistor and disconnected the knock sensor, and will see what happens on this tank. Disconnecting the knock sensor really made a difference in the smoothness of the engine. No more hesitation when taking off from a stop, better shifts. All I have spent so far is .99 cents for the resistor pack of 5 at Radio Shack. If it does'nt work, so what.

For the intake mod, I removed the lower resonator and cut the airbox around the air filter like the "normal" Keman mod. Still running the stock air filter. On the upper resonator, I removed it and just cut off the square box on the side of the tube and removed the white plastic grid with the holes in it from the inside. Then I smoothed out the projections on the outside of the grid and installed it on the outside of the tube over the hole where the square box was cut off. I sealed it with aluminum duct tape and put black duct tape over that. Reinstalled the tube in the original location and so far so good. I keep an eye on it, as I know the heat may be a problem with the tape. But it cost a total of 0 dollars. This mod was great as I really can feel the difference in the low end and throttle response.

I am having fun watching my FE increase as I do small things and with no investment other than time, any increase is $ in my pocket. I can't see spending $169.00 on a Scangauge II, as that would put me in the hole, so to speak.

Nice to meet you all, and good luck,