View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Heating a chair - Use waterbed heating pads inside the cushions. You can set them to a specific temperature and they aren't terribly inefficient.

I still say it's most effective to simply wear loose-fitting, insulative clothing, drink warm drinks and eat warm foods.

Winter is rice and oatmeal time for me. I love rice for breakfast with a bit of cinnamon and sugar, and I love oatmeal, farina, cream of wheat, etc.

Obviously you probably won't bake every day, but baking significantly increases the temperature of the area around the oven, and a circulating fan will help push that heat through the rest of the living area. Baking for longer at a lower temperature is also helpful, for recipes that can be adjusted in such way. Works great as a supplemental heat source, especially on the really cold days when the heater doesn't seem to be keeping up.

Rather than lighting an entire room, focused low-wattage lighting [such as candle bulbs] at or near the areas you intend to sit/stand etc tend to make the best use of both light and heat from the incandescent bulbs.

And while it seems like a lot of work to do it, plain old black water jugs placed in the sun during the day, then brought inside the house at night and placed in/under seating areas will also warm them significantly.