View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
It's already been shown that ethanol production displaces food crops, which increases food prices. Increased food prices harm the impoverished more than increased prices for any other good.

There isn't enough farmland currently to move all vehicles to E85. Natural land would need to be cleared and cultivated to meet the demands of an 850% increase in ethanol fuel.

My preference would be to cut oil and farm subsidies and pay whomever offers the most energy for the lowest price; whether that is Bubba or Achmed, I couldn't care less.

That said, I'm extremely interested to see what sort of fuel economy and performance can be created to run on E85. If the performance and economy were sufficient, I might be enticed to purchase such a vehicle and fuel.
Speaking of hyperbole...

1. Food price increases are due to far more factors than ethanol. One could even say ethanol has nothing to do with any increases.

2. NOBODY is talking about moving the entire North American fleet to E85. Nobody except those who are being disingenuous, that is.

3. There's a food shortage in N.A.? Then why are the slobs still throwing 40% of it away?

4. Actually it seems the impoverished are burdened most by high health care and housing costs.

5. Several have provided years of real-world data re: ethanol right here on EM. If you really are interested in seeing what E85 performance and economy is, all you have to do is look. P.S. Or better yet, try it.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 10-29-2014 at 11:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Xist (10-30-2014)