View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
1989 Hilux Diesel Mystery Light

Still searching for this winters winter car, I found an '89 Toyota Hilux JDM. So it's right hand drive sadly. It is however a 5 speed, 2.4TD. And it's cheap. Like dirt cheap. 224k KMs, it seems to run fine. I drove it around and initially none of the lights were on on the dash. When I gave it throttle, I could here the turbo making boost, and the green light to the left of the "Turbo" writing on the tach came on. I assumed that was the light to tell you you were in boost, like on old Grand Nationals. But once it warmed up, the red light to the right came on and stayed on. It still runs fine, and I can hear the turbo spool up, but the green light never comes on, the red one just stays on. I know nothing about these trucks, but I do know that generally a red light is a bad thing, especially when it's next to the word "Turbo". There are no manuals for this thing and I need to give the guy an answer soon. Can anyone fill me in on whether that light is the "30 seconds to turbo self destruction" or the "Everythings fine with your turbo, we just chose red to tell you that" light? Thanks!