View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cobb
Master EcoModder

Welcome to our world.

I have a 2nd gen insight, which looks like a 2nd gen prius. I find this more often happens in rush hour. Its just asking for an accident to try to drive in an eco manner in regards to driving slower, accelerating slower, etc. I find in many cases I can go twice the posted limit with flow of traffic and police cars pass everyone. I usually end up driving it like a rental car, pushing either the gas or brake to the floor, making 90 degree turns at 45 mph, taking on/off ramp at 70 and there is usually a car 3 ft from my bumper.

The fun part is there are plenty of a holes out there. The few who have a POS that can exceed what Im doing just to get in front of me has 3 more cars waiting to cut them off or suddenly slow down for no reason.

Yeah, we got guys purposely drive slower when you approach them, then speed up when you go to pass. If I get in a situation like that I make sure there is a 15 mph gap so I can win.

In general hybrids are their most efficient the least you use of its electric system. Both the insight and prius work best to use gas to accelerate and load the engine to a point. Then coast to a stop with minor use of the electric system to extend coasting. With the gen 1 insight with lean burn you use lean burn while coasting to extend coasting and not use ima for triple digit mpg. Those who post that typically do not exceed 50 mph, P&G a lot.