View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Whereas instead of going about three weeks on $20 worth, I can now stretch it to a full month.
I once put $20 of diesel in the truck just to get home, and it wasn't even enough to turn the low fuel light off. This was back in 2008, when diesel was $5/gallon. It's a sad day when $20 isn't enough to extinguish the fuel light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I don't care if gas prices fall below two bucks a gallon, I still want to conserve as much gas as possible!
If my hypermiling in the Insight cancels out the effects of just one gap toothed git-er-done in his big dumb F250 dually with his inbred kids and pitbull hanging off the side rails in the back, glaring at me as they roll coal around me . . . . . then maybe there will be some gas left when my grand kids start to drive.
I assure you that driving and burning gasoline doesn't cancel out the effects of someone else driving and burning gasoline.

Any fuel you "save" will only increase supply, thus forcing prices lower, and consumption by other people up.

Without a worldwide conservation plan, individual conservation is next to pointless for the environment. However, it's extremely relevant to the conservationists pocketbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have a fifty-cent discount through my supermarket, which is currently charging $2.799. I do not want to blow it and only get seven gallons...

The nearest Costco is charging $2.599.
Save up the discounts until you reach the maximum, and then bring gas cans along with an empty fuel tank. Get the maximum amount of fuel at the discount that you can.

If you don't have fuel cans, just get a couple buddies to go to the station with you and fill their vehicles until the maximum limit is reached.

Until then, fill up on Costco. They recently became Top Tier certified (same as Shell, Chevron, Texico, etc), for whatever that's worth.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 11-01-2014 at 05:51 AM..