View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Thirty-second cell phone charger

Okay, I am going to try to edit out my ranting: Yesterday, someone told me about a ten-minute cell charger and I went to look it up on my phone. He was wrong, it only required half a minute!

18-Year-Old Invents 30-Second Phone Charger | TIME.com

I do not believe these tech writers understand technology. It sounds like she designed something along these lines: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ery-27994.html

She did not create a cell phone charger, she designed a replacement for a cell phone battery. If it lasts as long, but charges faster, that sounds like a good deal.

She won one of the two Intel Young Scientist Awards and will allegedly use her $50,000 prize toward her education at Harvard. She plans on achieving global arson.

“My cellphone battery always dies” Khare told NBC News.

The first-place prize went to Ionut Budisteanu of Romania, who won $75,000 for a low-cost autonomous vehicle control system.

For the record, states "Eesha is the developer of a supercapacitor energy storage device, a carbon fiber with different metal oxides—primarily titanium dioxide and polyaniline—that uses nanotechnology to maximize the device’s surface area." Eesha Khare: Inventing the One-Minute Mobile Phone Charger

In other news, Israeli start-up StoreDot displayed a device at Microsoft's Think Next Conference, and charged a Samsung S4 smartphone from a dead battery to full power in 26 seconds. "The bio-organic battery utilises tiny self-assembling nano-crystals that were first identified in research being done into Alzheimer's disease at Tel Aviv University 10 years ago.

The nano-dots are described by StoreDot as "stable, robust spheres" that are 2.1 nanometers in diameter and made up of peptide molecules." BBC News - Battery offers 30-second phone charging

I thought that I posted something about designing flip-flops to power cell phones as you walk, but commented that people who wear flip-flops probably do not walk very far (if they are worried about keeping smart phones charged), but I read an article the other day about a prototype boot liner that could charge a phone in fifteen miles, which they expect to improve.

Last edited by Xist; 11-14-2014 at 02:13 AM..