View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #441 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I owned an Insight and before I sold it at 62k miles. It had $7000 in warranty work performed at the dealership with no charge to me, more warranty work than every car I have ever owned combined that had a warranty over the last 45 years. That would buy me 21 Sentras and I can haul 5 people in fairly deep snow. Just the cost of warranty repairs and the warranty batteries are not known for longevity.

I did the math on my truck as it sat there doing nothing and the depreciation on the Fiesta. Not sure how James would keep his truck registered, tagged and insured for $150 a year. My annual cost was pretty low but easily twice that not inculding any maintenance or repairs.

For me, this thread made me realize that I could avoid enough in taxes, tags, depreciation, maintenance and repairs to pay completely for the fuel I now use in the bike and Sentra. Over 4k miles so far and no unexpected expenses. That could continue for years with my present annual mileage and every time we take the Sentra, the wifes Sorento sits in the garage which keeps the miles below 1k a month and extends the time when she will replace that vehicle which saves her money.

regards
mech

The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
oldtamiyaphile (02-07-2015)