View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #444 (permalink)
richierocket
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Not necessarily, depending on the cost of the truck. See above for all the reasons that having two vehicles might be an even better solution.
jamesqf, my friend had a 4X4 pick-up as his only car, now has only a small car and trailer. He did not want to have two vehicles...See my points above for why someone would not want to have a pick-up as a second vehicle.
Maintenance will cost something. An older, "fully depreciated" truck will eventually have to replace something (tires, belts, hoses) or a brake caliper will seize, whatever. If you can handle the maintenance and repairs yourself, then great for you. Some people can't deal with that on second older vehicle.

Quote:
Am I the only one who sees a logical contradiction here? As in the family might be better off with 1 Insight for the single-person commute, plus a van for hauling the family.
I agree, for some families, that would work. But my point is it wouldn't work for everyone.

Quote:
I guess you don't live where I do :-) Around here, a lot of the non-main roads don't see plows that often. Even in town, after a big snow (which might not happen every year), a good many residential streets will wait weeks before being plowed - or melting, whichever comes first :-)
Again, that's my point! Your life situation is different from other people. Where I live, we average 40" of snow per year. Some years 80", others only 20". I live in a suburb, so we have plow trucks. The most I have to drive thru is 6", which my Sonic with snow tires does fine. I do not need a pick-up truck as second vehicle, never had one, never wanted one...my car is fuel efficient (not super efficient like your Insight) and my trailer works great for me

Thanks for all your eco-modding efforts to reduce our dependence on oil!