View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
AlexanderB
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
The Prius, especially in Gen1 form is a hybrid, it's electric motor was originally designed for maybe a 20% duty cycle. If you try going down the full EV route you can be quite certain that the OEM motor won't last.
Ah.. well, thats pretty much that then, if it wont hold up to me driving it as an EV, its no use to me.

Quote:
I'd suggest keeping your diesel for out of town trips, and building a DIY EV (if you want to haul fridges maybe a Citroen Berlingo).
Something I considered, an EV currently doesn't get road-taxed, so owning two cars like that would be an option.

A berlingo won't be needed, but I might get a wagon instead of a small hatchback type car, the margin on battery weight and such is a little higher..

Quote:
If it's only used around town you can start with just a small/ cheap LiFe battery and extend it when you can.
The big problem with that is the engine swap tech inspection. I'd need a certified motor + controller which is far too expensive, the only workaround is using a motor/controller from an existing road-approved vehicle, for example a crashed EV or hybrid. Perhaps one of those rear drive units off of a "4x4" hybrid?

I might get away with a lot if I copied the exact serial plate off of something else onto the parts I want to use. :P because factory EV's exist with forklift style series wound motors. Then I only have to fake an invoice for the parts being from a scrapped EV in a faraway country. Unless I can actually find one being scrapped..

Quote:
If you start with a gen 1, you'll need to swap out the motor/ controller and batteries anyway, you may as well start with whatever car you want (and getting one with ICE/ trans problems will be cheaper).
Makes sense, the only advantage of a Prius would be that it already comes with all the approved bits, after I get it inspected as an EV, I could do whatever and nobody would care. But yes, its an expensive and not very practical way of going about it, so maybe I just need to find a Toyota MGR or the type plates of off an older EV with a series wound DC motor, and stuff it into whatever I like.

Quote:
Another option would be to swap your diesel engine to a later Euro X standard.
Yeah, it doesn't work like that, the Euro type on the papers stay, even if I swap in some 2014-made engine.. (The other way around though, I get to remove all the emissions crap *if* I put in a 2014 style engine)