View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #40 (permalink)
rdefayette
Diesel Trucker

JD - '04 Dodge Ram 2500 QCLB 4x4 SLT
Last 3: 18.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack2 View Post
Hey Bob,

Ive been mulling over designs for quite some time now.

As a student I am trying to keep it fairly affordable yet durable at the same time. Your design has finally made me decide on how to make the frame and what to cover it with. I was on the same track as you as I prefer to work with metal over wood. However, I was going to make the main support near the cab out of 2X4s and the frame out of 1/2 inch emt. I am curious what you used for the hinges on yours? I was originally going to make a soft tonneau cover that folded in and have the bottoms hinge upwards but I like your idea of having the whole structure lift up as it does. Thanks so much for your post I am glad I finally found it after all of my searching!

Just remembered you mentioned you had additional pictures, if there is any chance you could send them to me that would be awesome.
Hopefully this link will work. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjQexiT3
I used weld on plate/ball bearing hinges from Grainger. I drilled and tapped them for a set screw so the pin wouldn't come out. They really don't have to support a lot of weight as the (my) top hinged section only weighs about 85-90 lbs. The front section will have to be relatively stout as the forces imposed on it are pretty high with the top open. To remove the top all I need to do is knock out 2 hinge pins and disconnect the struts.