View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #141 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
As an aside question, do we know anything else other than the Highlander and the RX400h that came with this, or a similar style drive unit?
I totally understand; SUV's would definitely be more rare in Europe.
Oddly, I think it's a good thing - maybe not good for our purposes, but definitely better for the planet.

I really hope that Toyota didn't just end the concept with the Highlander. Perhaps folks can do some digging for a similar thing?? Maybe one of the AWD sedans have a similar motor??

One thing I've noticed from all the Oakridge Lab testing reports I've read is that there are a LOT of similarities with various Toyota Hybrid products. In other words, the control system for the Prius, Camry, Highlander, etc. is very similar.

The later model Prius "transmissions" have two motors/generators and a fairly simple gearbox. (not the chain drive of the 1st gen Prius) A guy on the DIYEV list was using one of the Prius transmissions to power an MR2; he used both motors at once to get the most power.

Other folks have mentioned making a gearbox that is more useful for EV's. There might be some fantastic opportunites to do this with Prius guts. The Prius electric motor is more powerful than the MGR motor, so it could be worth the effort. After all, I see a lot of Prii on the road - which hints at opportunites for parts...

Last edited by e*clipse; 11-03-2014 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: context