View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #445 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, that's you. Bought mine used with 50K miles (now at about 180K). Total repairs (other than normal maintenance items like brake pads) have been an EGR valve, O2 sensor, and a rear wheel bearing/hub. Maybe $400 over 10 years. And original batteries are still doing fine, with rebalancing every year or two.

Different states :-) As it happens, I need to renew the registration on mine in a couple of weeks, so I have the card sitting here. Registration is $55. Insurance is a bit of a guess, but it's about $500/yr for both, and was about $350-400 when I had just the Insight. I forgot about smog check, which is about $25, but on the other hand registering a trailer would cost something - $12 or $24 depending on weight, possibly an extra tax based on original sale price.

Then, of course, my truck doesn't just sit there except when it's needed for hauling. There are a lot of places I go where you'd have to be nuts to take a low-clearance vehicle. It's another of those different conditions: if your life is such that you never leave pavement or smooth dirt, then the utility of a truck goes way down. (But OTOH your boredom quotient goes way up :-))
A car needing $7k in warranty work from 35 to 62k miles is "just me".

Maybe your $150 estimate was somewhat flawed.

The Sentra is $260 a year insurance, trailer is 0, trailer tags are permanent.

I mange to ward off boredom without playing in the dirt.

I did "play in the dirt" to make about $300k in tax free gains, and I bought a truck, then sold it when I was finished "playing in the dirt".

Ass-umptions may be your best bet for avoiding boredom.

I drove my 84 CRX (bought new, 44 mpg average for 50k miles) 180 miles in a snow storm bad enough to slow a Va state trooper down to 35 on the Interstate when I passed him. So much ice in the wheel wells you could not turn the front wheels enough to make a 90 degree turn. It took all of the next day sitting in the clean up area of the Benz&Ferrari dealership for the ice to melt.

regards
mech