View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #446 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
A car needing $7k in warranty work from 35 to 62k miles is "just me".
OK, it's your car, because few if any Insight owners have reported such problems.

Quote:
Maybe your $150 estimate was somewhat flawed.
Maybe, but not by all that much. I did say that it was an estimate, you know, not an accurate-to-the-penny cost analysis. Regardless of whether it's $150 or twice that, it's still much less than occasional rentals would cost - and that's not even including the value of my time & aggravation.

Quote:
The Sentra is $260 a year insurance, trailer is 0, trailer tags are permanent.
Different states, different insurance rates, different trailer registration requirements, etc. As discussed above, those are all things that factor into the calculation of which option is best for any individual.

Quote:
I drove my 84 CRX (bought new, 44 mpg average for 50k miles) 180 miles in a snow storm bad enough to slow a Va state trooper down to 35 on the Interstate when I passed him.
But how deep was the snow in the travel lanes? Deeper than the floor pan? That's when whatever you're driving starts to turn into a snowplow.

Just as a practical matter, I doubt you see that much snow in the low-lying southern state of Virginia (as compared to the Sierra Nevada), and on the Interstates what you do get is likely to be smushed down into a couple of inches.

Last edited by jamesqf; 11-05-2014 at 11:39 AM..