View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #148 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
Well, the Outlander PHEV is being sold a lot here though. I looked it up, they also have a read electric motor. I wonder if its the same thing..

They very well might, but I can't find any info on the one that comes to mind, the Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid.

Been thinking about doing just that, but I'm not sure if I want or don't want the Prius to still be attached to it when I do, and I get conflicting answers as to how reliable it would be.

I did not know that. And indeed, so many parts donors on the road.
I honestly don't know what Mitsubishi or Volvo use. Given the huge variety possible with electric motors and the fact that there is no standard, I would guess that it's different than Toyota's. They may be close enough however - for example most powerful AC motors are three phase. They can actually use the same controller whether they are induction motors or brushless DC motors. Of course the programming would have to be different, but the hardware can be the same. This brings up the value of open source projects - they allow/encourage adaptation and improvement.

They guy with the MR2 was using an Arduino for the brains and the Prius power module for the voltage step up/3 phase power switches. Last I saw, he was successful in getting it running. I have no idea about long term reliability.

- E*clipse